But that’s a topic for another time.
October is the time when the leaves change color and the wind becomes chilled. Time for Apple cider and pumpkin everything else. But most of all, it’s time for Halloween and horror movies.
Whether you love to be scared or make fun of poorly done effects, horror movies are a staple of the season. We all have our favorites of course but here are a few suggestions to broaden your horizons:
- American Gothic – In this slasher-esq 80’s film, a group of friends are forced to land a plane on a deserted island when their vacation is detoured due to engine troubles. After setting up camp and deciding to explore the island, the friends eventually come across a house. When the owners of the house come home, the group soon realizes that something is amiss.
- All Cheerleaders Die – Every horror movie marathon needs a cheesy tension-cutter and that is exactly what this movie is. The main character, Maddy, is harboring an understandable grudge towards Terry, the captain of her high school’s football team. She decides to infiltrate the cheerleading squad and use her new friends to get back at Terry. Her plans go awry when a mishap following a party ends with Maddy and her friends waking up dead.
- Pumpkinhead – An 80’s horror flick that’ll made you look twice next time you head to a pumpkin patch, Pumpkinhead is a movie about a man seeking revenge. Ed Harley is grief-stricken when his young son is killed by a group of teenage campers riding motorcycles. He goes to see a witch, looking to bring his son back. The witch cannot resurrect the boy, but she can punish those responsible for his son’s death. Things go awry when Ed begins to feel remorse for his actions after revenge is served by a disfigured demon conjured up by the witch.
- Session 9 – Set in a condemned mental institution, Session 9 is not widely known but is considered among fans and critics to be a cult film. A group of asbestos workers begin work on an asylum thanks to their team’s leader who is in a financial bind. While working, one team member finds a box filled with tapes from a doctor’s sessions with a patient suffering from multiple personality disorder. The tapes play throughout the movie as a string of horrific events unravel around the team.
- Candy Man – Candy Man is a movie set around an urban legend resembling today’s Bloody Mary. It’s just a story… right? The film shows a woman named Helen Lyle, a skeptic of folk lures, investigating the legend of the Candy Man. The legend says that if you repeat “Candy Man” five times while looking in the mirror, he will appear. Helen lands on a downward spiral as the lure begins to take over her life.